Our Doula Support Program builds confidence, resilience and social connection for women experiencing disadvantage during pregnancy, childbirth and early parenting.
We achieve this by matching pregnant women with professionally trained, volunteer doulas who provide pregnancy and labour support and/or extended postnatal support.
Pregnancy and labour support includes:
- Two to three prenatal visits (including one appointment with the midwife/doctor), which might include preparing a birth plan
- On-call 24/7 support from two weeks before the estimated due date until two weeks after
- Continuous support during labour and birth
- At least two postnatal visits
Extended postnatal support includes:
- 12-hours support within the first six weeks following baby’s transition to home to help establish bonding, feeding and good self-care practices
- Assistance with connection to other professional and social support services
These programs aim to:
- Increase women’s confidence and preparedness for birth and parenting, by creating a safe space where birthing parents are free to express any concerns, and supporting women to access answer any questions clients have about pregnancy, childbirth, the health system and motherhood
- Reduce social isolation, by building trusted personal relationships and connecting women to appropriate professional and social support services
- Support bonding during early parenting, by visiting mum and baby after the birth, and continuing to provide emotional and practical support, such as breastfeeding advice
This program is intended to provide support that is complementary to the existing maternal health care system.
We provide our services to clients in greater Melbourne and Geelong.