Birth for Humankind Doula Training
A doula is a highly skilled birth companion who provides practical and emotional support during pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period.
Research shows that continuous care throughout pregnancy from a known, trusted support person, such as a doula contributes to improved birth and early parenting outcomes and experiences.
Our doula training provides participants with a unique opportunity to embed trauma-informed and culturally sensitive perspectives into practice – and contribute to improving equitable maternal care for all women and birthing people.
About our 2023 Doula Training Program
- This course is open to anyone interested in becoming a birth and postnatal doula – no prior training is necessary
- Participants receive more than 72 hours of professional doula training, including weekly coursework and readings delivered by experienced birth support facilitators
- Delivered through a combination of face-to face training sessions in Melbourne, live online sessions and self-paced e-learning modules
Training commences Tuesday 9th May, 2023 and will be completed by mid-September 2023.
We held an online information session about our Foundational Doula Training – watch the recording here
What our training offers
- Equips participants with skills and knowledge to support women and birthing people through pregnancy, labour and birth, the postnatal period and navigating the Australian maternal health system.
- A focus on health equity and a trauma-informed, culturally sensitive perspective that highlights both evidence-based practice and the value of lived experience and peer learning.
- Prepares participants to work with all birthing people, including and especially Birth for Humankind client groups and people experiencing financial and social disadvantage who experience barriers when accessing the health system.
- The opportunity to volunteer as a doula with Birth for Humankind on completion of training and doula certification requirement, plus advice on working as a doula in private practice.
Cost – including all training, learning materials and mentoring: $2200, including GST
We are committed to building a diverse doula workforce and supporting women to develop employment skills. Financial support and payment plans may be available on request.
How to apply
Submit an online application
For more information please contact Cath Wright (She/Her), Doula Program Supervisor: email@example.com