Join our volunteer doula team
Are you a qualified doula, midwife/retired midwife/midwifery student who has attended a minimum of 3 births? We would love to hear from you!
We offer our volunteer team free professional development training, a caring community of support, practice guidance and regular support circles.
Applications for our volunteer doula program are open year round. Please complete an online application and one of our team will contact you 1-2 months prior to induction training dates.
We are currently recruiting for our final round of volunteer doula indiction for 2022.
Please note: Successful applicants will complete self-paced online training and must be available to attend a one day face-to-face induction training program on Thursday October 27th
To be eligible to apply as a volunteer doula for Birth for Humankind, you must:
- Live in Greater Melbourne, or the regional areas of Geelong and Ballarat;
- Have completed a comprehensive doula training program, be a midwife or student midwife (not in your first or final year of study);
- Have attended a minimum of three births in a professional capacity, unless you are applying solely as a postnatal doula, in which case you must have provided extended postnatal support to at least three families;
- Have a current Working with Children Check and undergo a National Police Check arranged by Birth for Humankind;
- Agree to abide by our policies and doula Code of Practice;
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless medically exempt;
- Be committed to providing high quality, impartial support to people from diverse cultural backgrounds who are experiencing social and economic disadvantages;
- Be committed to providing primary doula support to a minimum of three clients (birth support and/or extended postnatal support) over an 18 month period.
To read more download the volunteer doula information sheet.
"Thanks to the unwavering support, encouragement and ongoing, relevant training from Birth for Humankind, I now feel more confident in my role as a doula and have great pride in the contribution I am making to my community.”
– Liz Varney, Birth for Humankind volunteer doula